What is CO2 (carbon dioxide)?
Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a gas that is naturally present in the atmosphere. But as a result of human activities, there has been an extremely sharp increase in the volume of CO2 in the atmosphere in the last 150 years.
This is primarily due to the burning of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and gas. CO2 is a greenhouse gas: in fact, it is the primary greenhouse gas. Because the volume of greenhouse gases has increased so sharply, the earth’s climate is changing.
To give an idea:
- an average home/household (2.4 occupants) emits about 4.7 tonnes of CO2 per year (consumption of 3 tonnes of gas and 1.7 tonnes of electricity).
- 50 mature trees are needed to absorb 1 tonne of CO2 in a natural way.
- with 1 tonne of CO2, you can fill 250,000 balloons.
1 tonne of CO2 looks like…
- 500 CO2 fire extinguishers
- an air balloon of 200m3
- 125 m3 of cola
What is a CO2 footprint and why a CO2 footprint?
A CO2 footprint is an environmental yardstick for the business community. With the CO2 footprint, Teesing makes transparent how much CO2 it emits during its business operations. The footprint clearly shows where CO2 emissions can be reduced. Reduction of CO2 emissions results in cost savings.
The gas and electricity consumption of the building is included in the calculation, as is business travel. Commuting travel is not included.
The target for the CO2 footprint is to reduce this in comparison with the preceding year.
In 2016, Skype and video conferencing were used as often as possible to limit the number of business kilometres travelled as much as possible . On balance, CO2 emissions from the number of air travel have dropped by more than 16 tonnes of CO2 emissions and considerable costs have been saved.
Since the introduction of the NS Business OV Card in 2015, more and more employees are using the OV for business purposes. However, because of more use of the private car for business transport (declared kilometers) in 2016 the effect of using the OV card remains limited. Promoting the NS Business OV card remains a point of attention.
The 2016 footprint gives a slight increase in CO2 emissions to 6.41 tonnes of CO2 per FTE.
Target for 2017 - 2018:
Further reduction of CO2 emissions through:
- More active promotion of the use of the Netherlands Rail (NS) Business travel cards among the staff
- Continual stimulation of the use of Skype and video conferencing.
- Encourage employees to put forward ideas for reducing CO2.
- Introduction and promotion of the ‘New Driving’ style (efficient driving style programme of the Dutch Institute for Sustainable Mobility).
- Encouraging staff to switch off electronic appliances wherever possible, instead of leaving electronic appliances on stand-by/in the savings mode.
- Replacing TL lighting by LED
- Installing solar panels
- Installing solar boiler
Teesing is registered with Achilles Chemicals & Allied Industries because of its quality products and services. Read how Teesing qualified.
In the coming years, Corporate Social Responsibility will be one of the pillars on which Teesing will focus.
You are now able to add and search on your own article number or reference in our online catalog!
More information about the Teesing CO2 footprint?;
Executive Assistant & CSR Coordinator